1. Writing Prompt: Write for 10 minutes.
2. What type (short story, novella, novel) and genre (fantasy, realistic fiction, mystery, etc.) is your project going to be? Why did you decide on this?
3. Who are your favorite supporting characters?
- What makes them memorable?
- How are they important to your protagonist?
4. Writing Excuses Season 1, Episode 33 on Supporting Characters
Take notes on the following:
- How do you create memorable side (supporting) characters?
- What are some things you should avoid when creating supporting characters?
5. Types of Supporting Characters
6. Brainstorm and create at least two of your own supporting characters:
- Give your supporting character a fascinating backstory.
- Give your supporting character a defining quality, quirk, or flaw.
- Give your supporting character a distinctive voice.
- Give your supporting character their own arc.
- Focus on why your supporting character is important to the protagonist.
- Writing Prompt
- Supporting Character and Writing Excuses Notes
- Supporting Character Brainstorming