Language Objective: I will identify what type and genre of project I am writing.
1. Writing Prompt: Look around the room and pick an object. For ten minutes, write a story from the point of view of that object.
2. Rewrite your character's introductory scene (beneath the one you originally wrote) from a different point of view (switch from first to third omniscient, from third limited to first, etc.)
3. Which point of view felt more natural to you? Why? Give some examples where changing point of view was easier or harder.
4. Read the article "Differences between a Short Story, Novelette, Novella, and a Novel."
After reading, write down a word count and definition for the following:
- Short Story
5. With your group, research your assigned genre. Create a one-pager that contains the following in a way that's aesthetically pleasing:
- Your definition of the genre
- A visual representation of the genre
- Expectations of the genre: What does your writing have to have in order to fall into this genre?
- Examples of the genre
- Any subgenres
- Realistic Fiction
- Science Fiction
- Historical Fiction
- Literary Fiction
6. Exit Ticket: Which type and genre (subgenre, if applicable) is your project going to be? Why did you choose this type and genre?
- Writing Prompt
- POV rewrite
- Short story, novelette, novella, novel notes
- Genre one-pager
- Exit Ticket