1. First Five Pages Checklist - Double-check this list to make sure your work meets all requirements.
2. Read your work once for each step on this list:
- Does your story start with a moment of tension? This doesn't need to be action, but overall, your tension in your scene should go up, rather than fizzle out.
- How well is your character described? Do we get a clear sense of who they are, what they want, and what motivates them?
- Resolve all of the comments and suggestions of your peer reviewers. Make sure your draft is completely clean and doesn't have anything else in it.
- Where can you cut, simplify or refine your writing?
- Is there anything you need to add for the plot in this scene to make sense?
3. Do your copy-edits! Make sure all spelling, grammar, and punctuation are correct.
To help you, run your work through Grammarly.
- Optional: Check the length of your sentences and overall reading level by copy/pasting your work into Hemingway.
- Read your work out loud before submitting to double-check for any issues that you may have missed before.
3. Format your first five pages (make sure that this is all that is in your document) into Standard Manuscript Format:
- size 12, Times New Roman, double-spaced
- Indent first line of each paragraph; no extra spaces between paragraphs
- Center the title and chapter of your work on top
- Headers should include page numbers, preceded by the title of your work in ALL CAPS and your name in the upper right corner (Ex: Floch / NOVEL TITLE / #)
- Formatting Example: This is what your pages should look like
Please only submit the first five, double-spaced pages to the assignment called "First Five Pages Final" on Canvas. Make sure your work is completely free of any open comments and suggestions. This is a final draft. Treat it as such.
4. IF you have time left over, you may work on make-up work, but prioritize your first five pages. Remember that all make-up work is due TONIGHT, FRIDAY, JANUARY 3, 2020 by midnight.
- Submit your First Five Pages Final on Canvas by Friday, May 28
- ALL Assignments due: Friday, May 28