Language Objective: I will analyze and practice imagery using all five senses when describing setting.
1. Use half an hour to finish your Character Spreadsheet or your Novel Aesthetic from last period (check previous post for links and instructions).
2. Read the section titled "Anticipation" from Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus (until page 6)
While reading, take notes on the following:
- Note any passages or details that stand out to you
- What time period do you think this is set in?
- Find one example of description for each of the five senses (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste)
- What is your favorite detail? Why?
3. What does this excerpt teach you about writing setting and description?
4. Exit Ticket: What are the most important considerations when it comes to describing setting? What comes easiest to you? What are you struggling with?
- Character sheet or Novel Aesthetic
- Notes on The Night Circus
- Exit Ticket