1. First Five Pages Checklist
2. Format your first five pages (make sure that this is all that is in your document) into Standard Manuscript Format:
- size 12, Times New Roman, double-spaced
- Indent first line of each paragraph; no extra spaces between paragraphs
- Center the title and chapter of your work on top
- Headers should include page numbers, preceded by the title of your work in ALL CAPS and your name in the upper right corner (Ex: Floch / NOVEL TITLE / #)
2. Focus on your line edits and complete the following steps:
- Re-read your work sentence by sentence: Eliminate any unnecessary words and phrases.
- Find and replace your most and over-used words. Hit ctrl+f and enter the word you are looking for. Some of the most commonly overused words are:
- there are/is (you can usually get rid of this or strengthen it)
- Check your filter words. For example: He started walking down the street can just be changed to: He walked down the street. Or: She felt herself panic can be: She panicked.
- Eliminate cliches.
- Double-check any words or facts you aren't sure about.
3. Peer Critique: Find one other person to share your work with. Ask them to switch to suggestion and leave comments on any of the 10 line editing steps from the article above that you are doing well/need to improve.
- Upload your first five pages in Standard Manuscript Format to Canvas