First Five Pages Checklist
1. Show & Tell Exercise:
- Pick a song that could be the soundtrack for the mood of the opening scene of your work. What is it? Who is the artist?
- How does this song make you feel? How does this match your opening scene?
- When have you felt this way? Write down all of the following:
- How did you feel about this moment?
- What did you see, hear, smell, taste, touch in this moment?0
- What are things you thought about during this moment?
- (How) could others tell you were feeling this way?
- What is some specific imagery from your own experiences (or based on them) that you could use in your opening scene?
2..For the next 45 minutes, focus on balancing showing and telling in your edits:
- Where is your story just telling what is happening, rather than showing? is there a clear purpose for this?
- What details can you highlight in your showing?
3. Peer Critiques (Find two others to read your work). Share your document via GoogleDrive and switch to Suggesting. Comment and make suggestions based on the following:
- What is working?
- What is confusing?
- What do you want to see more of?
4. Exit Ticket:
- What did you accomplish today?
- What did you struggle with and how did you deal with this struggle?
- What are your next steps?
- Show & Tell Exercise
- Peer Comments
- Exit Ticket