Language Objective: I can create settings that reinforce mood in my novel.
1. Writing Prompt: Carousel
You have 10 minutes to write.
2. Word of the Day:
3. Book Presentations: Jaycie, Sierra, and Olivia
4. What are some of your favorite settings in novels and why?
5. For each of the moods listed below, write some details about a setting that would be
appropriate in creating that mood. Think of details about how that place looks, sounds,
smells, and feels to visit. Try to write two or three sentences for each mood.
Which of the three settings was your favorite to write? Why?
6. What are some other moods a setting could reinforce? What are some moods you would like to reinforce in your novel?
7. Now make up three of your own “moods” and describe a setting that would go along
with each one.
8. The last step is to apply your new skills to your upcoming novel. Use your GoogleDoc with your novel's plot outline for this part. For the following plot points, describe a setting that would fit the mood of that scene.
- set up
- inciting incident
- the climax
- one scene from your falling action
9. Exit Ticket: Which of the settings you wrote for your novel is your favorite? Why?
In your GoogleDoc for today, include the following:
- Writing Prompt
- Stressful, romantic, relaxing/peaceful settings
- 3 settings for 3 of your own moods
- settings for major plot points in your novel
- Exit Ticket