1. First Five Pages Checklist
2. Format your first five pages (make sure that this is all that is in your document) into Standard Manuscript Format:
- size 12, Times New Roman, double-spaced
- Indent first line of each paragraph; no extra spaces between paragraphs
- Center the title and chapter of your work on top
- Headers should include page numbers, preceded by the title of your work in ALL CAPS and your name in the upper right corner (Ex: Floch / NOVEL TITLE / #)
2. Focus on your line edits. Re-read your first five pages and find places to tighten and strengthen your writing. Try to eliminate one line per paragraph.
3. Go through each step outlined Line Editing in 10 Easy Steps. Re-read your work for each step (yes, you'll get sick of it, yes, that's the point.)
3. Peer Critique: Find one other person to share your work with. Ask them to switch to suggestion and leave comments on any of the 10 line editing steps from the Deep Genre article that you are doing well/need to improve.
Submit your Line Edits for today.