Take the HOPE Squad's Survey for HOPE Week here.
1. #Preptober Questions: Answer the following two questions:
- What music do you listen to when writing?
- What's your favorite writing fuel?
2. Writing Prompt: Write for 10 minutes.
Write about the worst work or customer interaction you've ever had. Focus on dialogue but also set the scene and take us into the story of what happened.
3. Vocab: Define and list an example for the following:
- dialogue tag
- beat (in dialogue)
4. Listen to the following episode of Writing Excuses and take notes on best ways to combine dialogue with blocking and description.
Discuss best practices for combining description, blocking, and dialogue.
5. Exercise: Using Narration and Context to Shape Dialogue
Use Mary Robinette Kowal's transcript and write two different settings and contexts with the same dialogue. Be prepared to share your work.
6. 5-Sentence Summary: What is your takeaway from today's lesson on combining dialogue with blocking and description.
Sentence 1: Your overall takeaway.
Sentence 2-4: List specific things you learned and how are you going to use this?
Sentence 5: What is something you are planning to work on with your dialogue?
- Writing Prompt
- Notes on Writing Excuses
- Narration and Context Exercise (two scenarios, same dialogue)