1. Writing Prompt: Write for 10 minutes.
Template 1: A _____(descriptor)_____ _____(protagonist)_____ must _____(do something)_____ that will _____(set up)_____ a _____(climactic encounter)_____ with a _____(descriptor)_____ _____(antagonist)_____.
Template 2: After _____(something happens)_____ to _____(set things up)_____ a ______(descriptor)_____ _____(protagonist)_____ must ______(do something)_____ that will _____(set up)_____ a _____(climactic encounter)_____ with a _____(descriptor)______ _____(antagonist)_____.
3. Sign up for NaNoWriMo.
- How NaNoWriMo works
- Create your NaNoWriMo profile
- Create your Novel profile
- Take a screenshot and copy/paste it into your Google Doc for today
4. What is your goal for NaNoWriMo? Shoot for 50,000 words or declare a different goal, but be specific.
What are three steps you can take to achieve this goal? Commit to the plan.
5. Continue outlining. Answer the following questions:
- What is the thing your character wants?
- Why do they want it?
- What are they doing to try to obtain it? (i.e. how are they trying to put this goal into action?)
- How can you frustrate their goals and desires to create conflict?
- What is the thing your character needs? (This should be a deep-seated need that also is at the core of the character's weakness holding them back from achieving their goal. Sometimes needs and wants can be completely opposite, where it is impossible to achieve one without giving up the other; other times both can work together to help your character achieve their ultimate goal.)
- How are your character's want and need in conflict?
- What lie does your character believe that keeps them from what they want?
- What truth does your protagonist need to discover?
- What weakness or flaw is central to your character's life as a result of believing in the lie?
- How are people in their life hurt by your character's weakness?
- Who is your character at the beginning of the story?
- What do they care about?
- What do they believe in?
- How are you going to show your character's imperfections/incompleteness in the beginning?
- How will your character have changed by the middle of the story?
- What scenes will you use to demonstrate how they have evolved?
- What scenes will you use to show that they are still imperfect/incomplete?
- Who will your character be by the end of the story?
- What will be your character's "moment of revelation" in the climax?
- How will you prove the character's inner change to readers?
- What "tools" (mentor's advice/untenable situations/new mindsets, etc.) will your character require to improve themselves?
- List what EACH of some of your supporting characters wants and why they want it?
6. Exit Ticket:
- What part of writing your project are you looking forward the most?
- What part do you think you will struggle with?
- What might help you through this struggle?
- Writing Prompt
- Log Line
- NaNoWriMo Sign-Up and Goal
- Exit Ticket