Language Objectives: I will identify and apply elements of effective supporting character creation to my own writing.
HOPE Squad Nominations
1. Finish and present your Genre one-pagers from last time.
2. Who are your favorite supporting characters?
- What makes them memorable?
- How are they important to your protagonist?
3. Writing Excuses Season 1, Episode 33 on Supporting Characters
Take notes on the following:
- How do you create memorable side (supporting) characters?
- What are some things you should avoid when creating supporting characters?
4. Types of Supporting Characters
5. Brainstorm and create at least two of your own supporting characters:
- Give your supporting character a fascinating backstory.
- Give your supporting character a defining quality, quirk, or flaw.
- Give your supporting character a distinctive voice.
- Give your supporting character their own arc.
- Focus on why your supporting character is important to the protagonist.
6. Exit Ticket: Write a scene featuring your main character from a supporting character's point of view. Write for 5-7 minutes.
- Supporting Character and Writing Excuses Notes
- Supporting Character Brainstorming
- Exit Ticket