1. Writing Prompt: Write about a character who survived the apocalypse, and has now taken the role of leader of a small group of survivors. The catch? This character is the oldest among their small group. Double catch? This character is only 17 years old.
2. Watch this TED Talk by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on "The Danger of a Single Story"
- 3 things you learned
- 2 ways you can apply this to your writing
- 1 question this left you with
3. Explicit vs. Implicit Characterization: Read your book/the books on your table for 10 minutes.
After reading, list the following:
- What do you learn about the main character that is stated explicitly (i.e. you can point to it in the text)?
- What do you learn about the main character implicitly (i.e. between the lines)?
- What can you learn from this for creating your own characters?
4. Fill out this Character Profile for ONE of your characters. Feel free to skip and delete any questions that are not applicable or add questions of your own.
5. Exit Ticket:
- What's your main takeaway from today's period?
- What is your favorite thing about your character so far?
- What is something that makes this character different from anyone else?
- Writing Prompt
- The Danger of a Single Story Notes
- Explicit vs. Implicit Characterization Notes
- Character Profile
- Exit Ticket