1. Writing Prompt: Write for 10 minutes.
3. Beginning Cliches: How Not To Start a Story
- Opening with a dream
- Opening with the alarm clock buzzing
- Being unintentionally funny
- Too little dialogue
- Opening with dialogue
- Weather Reports
4. Good Beginnings: 10 Things Your Opening Chapter Should Do: A Check-List for Self-Editing
5. How to Write a Novel: 7 Tips Everyone Can Use
6. Take 10 minutes to check your Quarter 1 book's beginning: Which one the 10 Things Your Opening Chapter Should Do tips is it using in its opening pages? How is it effective (or not)?
7. Using the 10 Things Your Opening Chapter Should Do checklist, write the opening (at least 200 words) of your story.
8. Exit Ticket: What type of beginning is your favorite and why? Write a 5-sentence summary response.
- Writing Prompt
- Beginning Notes
- Your Beginning
- Exit Ticket