1. Start your Google Doc for today with a list of the following:
- 3 things you are passionate about
- 2 things you know are in the news right now
- 1 question you have about life, society or the universe
2. Read at least one of the following news outlets for the next ten minutes. List at least three topics that you came across.
Answer the following questions:
- What about these topics caught your attention?
- How is the reporter covering this topic in depth or in new/interesting ways?
3. For 15 minutes, research what each news value means in relation to journalism and news writing, and come up with two examples of story ideas that fit these values. You may work with partners.
Research the following news values and come up with the definition and an example for each:
- human interest
4. On your whiteboard, create a story web, based on topics that currently interest you and you could interview people with author over this topic about.
5. Write a story proposal for your chosen topic. Include:
- Six-Word Summary of your story
- Include the angle or focus of your story: What are you going to focus on? How is this focus new and/or different than what's already out there?
- Give two reasons why this story is newsworthy (check slides and defend why your story is newsworthy)
- List three primary sources (people you would interview in person) of authority who you are planning to interview.
- List two secondary sources you would consult (online sources, documents, news articles, etc.)
6. Exit Ticket: Why do you want to write this story? Justify your answer and talk about how your story is unique and not something that has already be done. Write 3-5 sentences.
- Current Events
- News Values notes
- Story Ideas
- Story Proposals
- Exit Ticket