Language Objective: I will annotate and analyze Thomas Bernhard's "The Voice Imitator."
1. Read your Quarter 4 Book for 15 minutes.
2. Reading Journal: How does your book open? How is your main character first introduced? How do you know they are the main character?
3. Cold read: "The Voice Imitator" by Thomas Bernhard
Annotate the following:
- Who is speaking?
- What do you think a Voice Imitator is?
- Why are they inviting him?
- Why is he performing for them?
- What questions do you have to ask to have a basic understanding of what is going on in this piece?
5. Your Reaction and Understanding:
- What is your reaction?
- What questions does this raise?
- Does it provide a complete character introduction? A complete story?
6. What does this piece NOT say about the voice imitator?
7. Questions and Perspectives:
Ask a question about the character of the voice imitator that could clarify who he is.
Gain multiple perspectives of your peers.
Record their answers to your question, but also your answer to their questions to learn more about both their and your interpretation of this character.
8. Draw the voice imitator.
9. What parts of your drawing were based on explicit (direct) characterization? Which were based on implicit characterization?
10. If you could add one aspect to your drawing from someone else's drawing, what would it be? Why?
- Reading Journal
- Annotations, Notes, and drawing of "The Voice Imitator"