Language Objective: I will edit and peer-review the rough draft of my news article.
Essential Question: How do you effectively assess your own as well as your peers' writing?
1. Bell Work: Join my class on Newsela (sign up with your Google account)
- Read the article and complete the "Write" and "Quiz" assignment in Newsela
- After reading, answer the following two questions:
- Choose three things that this article does especially well.
- How can you use this article as a model to improve your own writing?
2. Revise your own writing. Use the following as guiding questions:
- Before proceeding, you MUST have peer feedback on your story
- Are you covering your topic in depth?
- Are you unbiased and are you covering all sides involved in this story?
- Are you avoiding restating any questions?
- Is your lead effective? How can you make it better?
- Is your story based on interviews?
- Are your transitions effective?
- How can you make your closing even more effective?
3. Once you have addressed ALL of these questions, get two more readers to review your work. Have them comment on the following:
- What is the author doing well in this story? Why/how?
- What confuses you?
- What would you like to see more of? Suggest further questions the author could ask or additional subtopics they could include.
- Newsela assignment
- Submit your revised draft
- Final Drafts Due: Tuesday, February 23 (A-Day) / Wednesday, February 24 (B-Day)