Language Objective: I will identify and analyze traits of infographics, contrast pros and cons, and begin researching data to create my own infographic relevant to my research topic.
1. Bellwork: Watch the following video about infographics:
- What facts stood out to you? Why?
- Based on the video you just watched, what is your definition of "infographic"?
2.) Watch this animated infographic about diversity and the Oscars, then go to your respective class Padlet:
- What information does this infographic give?
- What does it NOT say?
- What context or background knowledge do you need to fully understand this graphic?
- What are the pros and cons of using an infographic to present data like this?
3. Watch the first 12 minutes of David McCandless' TED Talk "The Beauty of Data Visualization."
In your GoogleDoc, take notes on the following question:
- What are important considerations when visualizing information?
- What information does the graphic give you?
- What does the infographic NOT say?
- EarWhat about it captures your attention?
- Is your graphic presenting absolute or relative data?
- How could this infographic be improved?
Group 1: World Octopus Day
Group 2: Obesity
Group 3: 60 Seconds
Group 4: Earth Day
Group 5: Pinterest
Group 6: Parks and Recreations
Group 7: The Arts
Group 8: The Peacock Mantis Shrimp
Group 9: Diabetes
Group 10: Fast Food
Share your findings with the rest of the class.
- Infographics Pro/Con Padlet
- Notes on McCandless TED Talk
- Group Infographic Analysis
- Exit Ticket