1. Journal: Seven Seconds
Write for 10 minutes.
2. Quick Write: How do we create our own perspectives?
3. Cornell Notes Template
4. Read: Watts "The Maya Doctrine"
5. Complete all following items in your Cornell Notes (put your findings on the right and the headings, for example: Vocabulary on the left)
Vocabulary (Add to your Cornell Notes and add definitions as you read):
6. After reading Paragraph 1: What is Brahman not? (Three examples and explain)
7. Read Paragraph 2 and answer: What is Maya (provide three examples)?
8. Read Paragraph 3 and answer:
- Redefine Maya
- How does Watts expand the concept? (Describe and provide an example)
9. Read Paragraph 4 and answer:
- According to Watts, why is this concept hard to understand?
- How does a “liberated” person see the world according to Watts?
10. Read Paragraph 5-6 and answer:
- What does it mean if something is relative?
- According to Watts in paragraph 5, how is the doctrine of Maya a doctrine of relativity?
- He gives the examples of WW1 and birth to explain how people’s points of view are relative. Describe one of these examples
11. Read Paragraph 7 and 8 and answer:
- What are two examples Watts gives to show that people could be described as both parts and wholes?
- What is Maya?
- Give an example
- Why is Maya unwise?
- What does one achieve if one goes beyond Maya?
13. Make a connection:
How is the idea of “maya” similar to the idea of “the thing itself”
Your GoogleDoc for today should include:
- How do we create our own perspective?
- Cornell Notes (on items 5.-13.)