Link to the Survey here.
Essential Question: How can you tighten and heighten sensory details in your writing?
1.Read your Quarter 1 book for 10 minutes
2. Work on finalizing your Hero's Journey Essay. Go through all steps outlined in today's post to strengthen your writing as much as possible.
Tighten your writing by choosing specific details and strong verbs:
Do this sentence by sentence.
3. Cut any parts where you are repeating yourself or that do not immediately pertain to your story.
4. Find at least three instances where you are too vague. Pick specific details to add to strengthen your writing. Use all five senses (sight, smell, sound, taste, touch) to fully describe details.
5. Resolve all peer review comments.
6. Copy/paste your essay into Hemingway to rework some of the sentences it flags as too long/hard to read, and wherever you used too many adverbs or passive voice to strengthen your overall writing. Also! Bookmark this tool so you can use it with any future writing projects.
Note: You don't have to fix every sentence it flags, but see if reworking the sentences it does flag makes them stronger This can be a great diagnostic tool to improve your writing.
7. Read your work out loud at least twice. Shorten sentences where you notice yourself stumbling and fix any awkward wording.
8. Check your work for the following criteria (read it once for each):
- Does your essay have a clear beginning, middle and end?
- Did you mention all 12 elements of the Hero's Journey and tie them into your story?
- Did you specifically mention and explain a childhood myth OR social expectation in your story and how it impacted you?
- Did you finish up with your goals and how you are going to pursue them?
- Is your essay formatted in 12 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced, with the first line of each paragraph indented, and no extra spaces between paragraphs?
- Does your essay have a creative and engaging title?
- Did you insert page numbers and your last name (add your name before your page numbers) in the top right corner?
- Did you add your name, class, and date in the upper left corner?
9. Check your work through Grammarly and re-read it one last time.
10. Submit your work on Canvas under "Hero's Journey Final Draft 10/16"
- Go through ALL steps carefully before submitting your Hero's Journey Final Draft