Language Objectives: I will identify the structure of villanelles and write my own examples.
What does it mean to you?
2. Re-read “Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night” and mark the following:
- Identify stanza count and line count
- Identify the rhyme scheme
- Highlight repeating lines (use different colors to show where each one repeats)
3. Look at Elizabeth Bishop’s “One Art" (page 2 of the same document as "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night)
- Which parts of her repeating lines stay the same?
- Which parts change?
- How do these changes contribute to the meaning of the overall poem?
4. Write your own Villanelle:
Come up with your overall idea, theme, and repeating lines first, then write the rest.
- Notes on Villanelles
- Villanelle Poem