1. Read both versions of the story on page 49 of Inside Reporting.
- Which version do you like better? Why?
- What does this teach you about structures you can use in news stories?
- How can this help you as you write your own rough draft?
2. Read through the different story structures on page 50 of Inside Reporting.
- List three things you learned about story structure.
- Which structure are you going to use for your rough draft? Why did you choose this one?
3. Go to the Journalism Team Drive, go into the Issue 4 folder and into the folder of the section your article fits in (News, Opinion, Sports, etc.), create a new document in this folder and name it the title of your story in ALL CAPS.
Use this document to do all of your drafting, including listing quotes and research you want to use. This way everyone can see what you are currently working on and can help you as needed.
4. In your story document, create a rough outline of what you are going to write about. Use one of the story structures you just looked at as a model.
5. Begin rough drafting.
Need help formatting quotes: Check out this Formatting Quotes Cheat Sheet:
How to format quotes
. Deadline Requirements:
- Length 400-500 words
- Must contain quotes from at least three sources (2 of them must be primary sources)
- double-check your formatting for quotes (We will talk about this next week.)
- stories must be written and shared in GoogleDrive, 1o pt. Times font
- Stories MUST be shared on the Team Drive (correct section in correct folder) and uploaded to Canvas
6. Exit Ticket: Highlight and add comments to your rough draft, answer the following in a comment:
- Highlight and comment on what you think is the strongest section of your rough draft right now.
- Highlight and comment on at least two areas where you are struggling or know you need to do better. In your comment, feel free to ask specific questions so that Ms. Floch and anyone providing feedback to you can help you improve your work.
- Download a copy of your rough draft (hit File > Download > Word .doc and use the File Upload function to upload this to Canvas under Rough Draft Deadline 2/2/18)