Title your Google Doc for today "Story Proposals."
1. With your table group, finish up your list of possible story ideas and add them to this STORY IDEAS Padlet, as well as your Google Doc. You have ten minutes to come up with as many ideas as you can.
2. Write two story proposals. Include in each:
- Six-Word Summary of your story
- Include the angle or focus of your story: What are you going to focus on? How is this focus new and/or different than what's already out there?
- Give two reasons why this story is newsworthy (check slides and defend why your story is newsworthy)
- List three primary sources (people you would interview in person) of authority who you are planning to interview.
- List two secondary sources you would consult (online sources, documents, news articles, etc.)
- 3. Which of these stories would you prefer to write and why? Justify your answer and talk about how your story is unique and not something that has already be done. Write 3-5 sentences.
Sign up for your chosen story idea on the Journalism board in the back of the room. Make sure to use the correct color for the section your story is going to be in. (If you're new, talk to someone who has taken this class before to figure out where your story fits best.)
4. Work on your research and interviews for your chosen story:
- Find at least 2-3 websites with more information on your subject. In your Google Doc, list the link, author, publication or website name, the date this information was published or last updated, and any information you are going to use from this source.
- Create at least 5-7 question for each person you are planning to interview for this story. Keep your questions open-ended, relevant to your topic, and make sure they prompt detailed responses. If needed, come up with follow-up questions.
5. Exit Ticket:
- What is the most interesting aspect of your story?
- What is something new and/or interesting you learned during your research?
- What is your best (most effective) interview question and why?
Submit all of your notes today in the Google Doc called "Story Proposals" on Canvas (the assignment is called Story Proposals)
- List of story ideas
- Story Proposals (2)
- Research (2-3 sources)
- Interview Questions
- Exit Ticket