Spend this period working on interviewing, researching, and writing your rough draft.
Rough Draft Guidelines:
- Length: 500 words
- MUST contain at least 3 primary (interview) sources and 2 secondary (research) sources
- Start a new paragraph with each change of topic or new quote
- Quotes should be direct quotes or indirect quotes:
- Direct Quote Example: "[What your source said word for word]", said [title] [First Name] [Last Name].
- Indirect Quote Example: [Title] [First Name] [Last Name] said, [summary of what the source told you])
- Avoid using "you", "I", "we/us" and other pronouns that aren't third person.
- Example: Instead of: Many of us think... say: Many students think...
- Avoid opinionated language UNLESS you are writing an opinion or review piece
- Make sure your story starts with an engaging lead and ends with either a quote that sums up the issue, an outlook into the future, or where to find more information. Opinion or review pieces can end with an overall verdict or a call to action
- Rough Drafts MUST be complete stories. We can't edit incomplete stories.
- MUST be run through Grammarly (include your screen shot in your doc)
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR ROUGH DRAFT ON CANVAS, DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Double-check that your draft is complete.
- Make sure your draft contains at least 3 interviews and 3 research quotes.
- Add two headlines and your byline
- Make sure to Download a Microsoft Word document and use the File Upload tab to upload it to Canvas.
- Rough Draft DUE