Journalism 1 - 1A
Write down the following:
- 3 things that worked well
- 2 things that could be improved
- 1 question you have after reading
2. Finalize Story Proposals:
- Six-Word-Summary of your idea
- Defend why it is newsworthy (make sure you can cite at least two instances of newsworthiness)
- List three primary sources (people you can talk to in person) for your topic
- List three secondary sources (websites, reports, etc. that might give you more info about your topic)
3. How a story gets written: Inside Reporting, page 28.
4. How to Start a Story: 5Ws1H
5. Write a lead paragraph for your story. Share this lead with at least two people in your group. Have your partners leave you comments on the following questions:
- What is working well about this lead?
- What is confusing?
- What would you like to see more of/instead in this lead paragraph?
6. Story Assignments (This is your first deadline story. Stories must be checked off with Ms. Floch and be added to the Journalism board.)
- Length 400-500 words
- Must contain quotes from at least three sources (2 of them must be primary sources)
- double-check your formatting for quotes (We will talk about this next week.)
- stories must be written and shared in GoogleDrive, 1o pt. Times font
- coordinate story illustration with a photographer or artist; all stories MUST have at least one illustration
- Share finished stories with firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Journalism Vocabulary
Your GoogleDoc for today should contain:
- Story Proposal
- Lead (+feedback and edits)
- Journalism Vocabulary
Journalism 1.5 - 3A
2. Journalism Vocabulary
3. Peer Reviews. Focus on the following questions:
- How could the lead be more effective?
- How could the story go more into depth?
- Anyone else the author could interview?
- How could the ending be strengthened?
- How could this article become more objective and less opinionated?
- What headline(s) would you give this article?
- Final Draft Deadline: Friday, January 27, 2017
Journalism 2 - 4A
2. Staff Intros & Passions
3. Story Pitch for new deadlines
- Deadline: Friday, January 27, 2017