1. For 15 minutes, check out current events and list three things that are currently talked about on the news medium you chose to read. Which three topics would make good potential story ideas to use in The Warrior Ledger? For each of your three ideas, write a sentence about WHY you feel this could or should be relevant to students.
Check out at least two of the following:
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- Huffington Post
2. List one idea based on EACH of the following questions:
- one thing that currently annoys you and "must go"
- one thing that currently makes you happy
- something you wish more people knew about
- something few people seem to talk about
- something odd you are really passionate about
- if you could solve one problem in this world, what would it be?
- what's one thing you wish you understood better?
- what's one fact about you others may not know?
- what is your favorite thing to do?
- what is something you do for others?
3. Use ONE of the ideas in numbers one or two to come up with your idea for this week's story and write a proposal, including the following:
- What's your story topic?
- What section do you think it falls into?
- What are you going to focus on in your story?
- How is this relevant to students?
- Three points you want to make in this story?
- Why do you want to write this story?
- Who are you planning to interview?
- Where are your going to find more information? List SPECIFIC sources
- 3 Current Events Ideas
- Answers to Brainstorming questions
- Story Proposal