1. Read at least one of the following news outlets for the next ten minutes. List at least three topics that you came across.
2. Look at Taylorsville High School's calendar and write down two story idea based on upcoming school events within the next month.
3. List one for each of the following:
- Something that currently makes you angry.
- Something that currently makes you happy.
- A question you currently have (about the world, society, how something works, current events, etc.)
4. Based on your answers for the first three prompts, create a story web (mind map) to come up with three different possible story ideas. Keep in mind that each story idea must accomplish the following:
- be new and/or different
- be relevant to the school community
- be something you can find credible, authoritative sources to interview and research
Write your three ideas on three different sticky notes and share one sticky note each with three different people, so that you end up with three new sticky notes by the end of this.
Distance learners: list your ideas in your Google Doc for today.
5. Choose one story idea you want to write about this week and sign up for it here. Be prepared to share your idea and what you will focus on with the rest of the class.
6. Start interviewing and researching.
7. Exit Ticket: List the following for your new story idea:
- 3 things you absolutely have to include in your story
- 2 ways this story will be new and/or different from anything else that's already been done about this topic
- 1 main question you are trying to answer in your article
- 3 current events topics
- 2 upcoming school events
- 1 thing that makes you angry, happy, and ask questions
- 3 possible story ideas
- Exit Ticket