Please follow this link to participate in today's Canvas discussion:
It's time to brainstorm and write proposals for your LAST ARTICLE FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR! Please make sure to contribute by responding to the following questions (steps 1-3):
1. To start your response to this discussion, please list the following:
- 3 biggest things that affected you this school year
- 2 things that are on your mind or important to you right now that have nothing to do with the current health crisis
- 1 thing that makes you happy right now
- The Salt Lake Tribune (Links to an external site.)
- The Deseret News (Links to an external site.)
- The New York Times (Links to an external site.)
- The Washington Post (Links to an external site.)
- The Wall Street Journal (Links to an external site.)
- NPR (Links to an external site.)
Answer the following questions:
- What about these topics caught your attention?
- What are some things the articles you read are NOT saying or a perspective they aren't covering?
3. Write a new story proposal: Check the posts of other students to make sure you aren't doing the same topic as them. Keep in mind that this is your last article for this year, so dig back into your ideas from the beginning, look at ways to showcase things that happened this year, look ahead for summer, etc, or write about a bit of happy news. If you have a similar idea, think about other directions or perspectives you could take in regards to this topic.
- Six-Word Summary of your story
- Include the angle or focus of your story: What are you going to focus on? How is this focus new and/or different than what's already out there?
- Give two reasons why this story is newsworthy (check slides and defend why your story is newsworthy)
- List three primary sources (people you would interview) of authority who you are planning to interview. Note: Interviews will need to be done via text, email, or video, whatever works best for you!
- List two secondary sources you would consult (online sources, documents, news articles, etc.)
Questions? Email me at email@example.com or through Canvas.
See you Thursday for a check-in and progress update discussion!