1. Choose one story from Best of SNO to read (choose based on the section you are currently writing for). Spend 10 minutes reading the story.
2. After reading, answer the following questions. Be ready to discuss your answers.
- How does the author get the readers' attention? How did they structure the lead paragraph?
- How did they ensure to cover their chosen topic in depth?
- How do they transition between quotes and research?
- How is the article's closing structured? What about it is effective?
- What are three things the author did that were particularly effective? Be specific.
- What are two things this article did well that you could use in your own work?
- What is one thing that could be done differently or improved?
3. In your rough draft, highlight and leave comments on the following:
- Highlight the headline of your article and comment with the one main question your article is trying to answer.
- Highlight and comment on three places you need help with or develop further. In your comments for each section or sentence, ask a question that tells your reviewers what you need help with.
- Highlight the last word in your article and comment with any other things you need and hope to get feedback on.
4. Use the Feedback Checklist and the author's comments on their draft to provide feedback to two other people. Leave detailed feedback (at least 5-7 detailed comments along with suggestions) and spend at least 15 minutes on each draft. Take screenshots of the feedback you gave your two partners.
5. Work on the feedback you have been given.
6. Exit Ticket:
- List three things you still need to improve on your article. Be specific.
- List two specific things you can do next period to finalize your draft.
- List one other possible headline for your article. Add it to the top of your draft.
- NSPA 2018 Story of the Year Finalist Analysis
- Highlights with comments
- Feedback screenshots (give feedback to two others)
- Exit Ticket