I hope you are all able to stay home and/or practice social distancing from everyone at this point to keep yourselves and those around you safe and healthy.
To make staying up to date in this class easier, I will post new content every TUESDAY and THURSDAY here on my class website as well as on CANVAS, because things like A-Days and B-Days have lost all meaning during quarantine. Please check my website and Canvas every Tuesday and Thursday to stay up to date on new content, work your way through the agenda on my blog posts, then turn in your assignments on Canvas, as usual. Please note that I am setting the due dates for all Tuesday assignments for Wednesday 11:59 PM and all due dates for Thursdays at Friday, 11:59 PM to give you some flexibility as you are staying caught up with assignments.
Got any questions or concerns? Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or through Canvas as that's the best way to get a hold of me.
I miss you all and I hope you are well and taking care of yourselves and those around you.
1. Go to this Canvas discussion here and participate by completing steps 1-3 from this blog post:
- 3 things you are passionate about
- 2 things that make you happy or that you are doing for self care right now
- 1 question you have about life, society or the universe
2. Read at least one of the following news outlets for the next ten minutes. List at least three topics that you came across.
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- The Wall Street Journal
Answer the following questions:
- What about these topics caught your attention?
- What are some things the articles you read are NOT saying or a perspective they aren't covering?
3. Write a new story proposal: PLEAE CHECK the posts of other students to make sure you aren't doing the same topic as them. If you have a similar idea, think about other directions or perspectives you could take in regards to this topic.
- Six-Word Summary of your story
- Include the angle or focus of your story: What are you going to focus on? How is this focus new and/or different than what's already out there?
- Give two reasons why this story is newsworthy (check slides and defend why your story is newsworthy)
- List three primary sources (people you would interview in person) of authority who you are planning to interview.
- List two secondary sources you would consult (online sources, documents, news articles, etc.)
4. Sign up for a new deadline by making a new document in the APRIL DEADLINES folder on the shared drive and titling it with your SECTION (in all caps) and story title.
6. Start working on your research and interviews. Please document everything in your rough draft document on the Shared Drive. We will be using that document and Canvas discussions to keep up to date and going in this class!
Also, to be safe and practice social distancing, instead of in-person interviews, text, email, or video interviews are the way to go right now! Please make sure to plan ahead as not all of your sources might be immediately available.
Assignments: Instead of creating a Google Doc, please go to the Canvas discussion here to participate and get graded.
- Bell Work: 3-2-1 and Current Events
- Story Proposal
- New Deadline Sign-Up