You have all period to work on your rough draft (due Friday, October 20 by 11:59 p.m.)
Follow these steps:
- Conduct any interviews and research you need. Remember, you need at least three sources in your rough draft. Use credible sources only.
- Start a new Google Doc. Name it with the section in all caps, followed by the story title (example: NEWS Homecoming Dance).
- Decide which parts of your quotes and research you want to use.
- Start with the most important information, then work your way down.
- If you're struggling with structure, try this paragraph break down:
- Lead paragraph: Hook your reader
- Second paragraph: Summarize the issue at hand
- Third paragraph: introduce your first source (pro, con, or someone who can comment on how this is an issue)
- Keep layering in quotes. Make sure to write transitions to lead up to each quote and give context. Don't just stack quotes after quotes.
- Introduce your sources by their full name and title first; after that, refer to them by last name only
- Make sure you back up every claim you make with a source. Make sure your sources are current and credible.
- Wrap up with where this issue is going in the future, where to get more information, or choose a quote that wraps up the issue well.
- Before submitting your draft, run it through Grammarly first.
- Add your byline (your name) and title (Reporter); add a headline if you can.
- Missing information? Still waiting for an interview? Add a placeholder like [Senior Teacher Interview Goes Here] -- this is your first stop when you're editing your work next week.
- Upload your draft on Canvas. The assignment is called "Deadline 10/20 Rough Draft"
- Move your deadline into the right section folder in Issue 2 on the Team Drive.
- Self-Assessment: Inside of your draft, identify two areas where you feel like you are doing well. Leave a comment about what you feel is working well here. Then, also identify two areas where you feel like you need help with. Either summarize what you need help with our ask a question so I can address it in my feedback.
- Rough Draft due on Canvas and on the Team Drive (Issue 2 folder): Friday, October 20 at 11:59 p.m.
- Turn in any make-up work by Friday, October 20, 11:59 p.m.